Saturday, August 30, 2014

#FREEMICHAELSHANEGLISSON



Michael's story of his life reads like Les Miserables, a fact that Judge Barber failed to recognize at the hearing I witnessed in November of 2013. The judge was in such a hurry to get on his way on a cruise he completely disregarded the pleas for help from Michael Shane Glisson which had brought me to court via the judge's indirect request through the public defender to demonstrate Michael had any positive ties to the community. The closest the public defender could find was me, a neighbor who had never even been on the same side of the fence as Michael, but even so I could gauge his character, his integrity. So when Michael went missing from next door, I was deeply concerned for his well-being, especially knowing his health concerns and approximate age. I spent months trying to locate him, afraid that the activities of the nuisance house had made him meet a bad end. When I found he was in jail, I was relieved he was alive. Then I read his record thoroughly, researched him deeply, and his story began to unfold before I ever had spoken to him of jail at all, (as the subject had not come up in polite conversation over the fence...) I began visiting him and learned more of his life, and I asked him if I could be his advocate and he agreed.
    At first though, when I began writing to him, I didn't use my name but instead the home-owner's name of the address I lived at with their permission. I tentatively reached out to Michael, finding that no one had visited him, contacted him, none of his "friends" from next door...and he had no close family. He was alone and trapped in a cycle of incarceration he didn't understand. You see, Michael is barely literate, and although extremely intelligent and high-functioning, he suffers from addiction, severe PTSD and other undiagnosed and untreated issues from the deep trauma he has suffered over his lifetime. Without treatment and programs to reintegrate him into society the courts have dealt a good man a death sentence, a life of over 28 years of incarceration that have taken their toll on him mentally, spiritually and physically.
     Without intervention this man will die in prison, a victim of the mass incarceration machine. I cannot allow such a brave soul to fight this battle alone. Please join me on his journey to find freedom in a world that has tried to destroy him, witness the truth of human tenacity to survive, live and love... #FREEMICHAELSHANEGLISSON #FLORIDASJEANVALJEAN

SEND POSTCARDS TO MICHAEL SHANE GLISSON INMATE # 14029324 520 FALKENBURG JAIL FALKENBURG RD TAMPA FL 33619

3 comments:




  1. #FLORIDASJEANVALJEAN #MICHAELSHANGLISSON >>> HIS STRUGGLE IS REAL...HOMELESSNESS & POVERTY ARE *NOT* CRIMES

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday at court, due to an unexplained conflict, the public defender withdrew from Michael's case without having visited him one single time since his arrest July 15th 2014, almost two months ago. Regional counsel was appointed and the next hearing was set for December 1st, nearly three months from now. The judge made it clear Michael's rights as a human being have no place in court last year. Why should I have expected any different this time around? I wonder how long it will take regional counsel to visit Michael and finally let him know something about his case?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plant City police may have a problem as well, lying to cover police brutality is a crime and should be punished. Lying on an arrest report as some sort of ploy to rack up charges in order to create a larger prison sentence on a man they were aware was in crisis is egregious... More on this soon...

    ReplyDelete